Monday, September 29, 2008

Week one tally Week two menu!

$51.76 Waldbaums
$24.17 Northshore Farms
$31.30 Bernard's Market (halibut disaster)
$14.00 Pizza from Sal's (yum)
$27.25 Waldbaum's

Grand Total Week One: $148.48 (-23.48)

Oh sooooooo close!  If we didn't have the fish problem, we would have made it!  Still I am damn impressed we even got close.  One disclaimer:  On a last minute whim, Carolynn and I went to the city for the night, so we didn't eat home on Saturday or Sunday.  While I'm not counting the cost of the meals out, I did have everything in the house to cook if we were home, so being that it is the first week - it counts close enough for me.

On to week 2....

This week my goal is to cook/eat a few more total veg options.  There is not a lot on sale this week worth buying.  I need to be a bit more creative.  The one splurge item that is on sale is lobster tails, so I'll plan that for Thursday.  Here is the projected menu for the week:

Monday: Stuffed Shells with a green salad (CHEAT: these were leftover from Katherine's Dad's Bday party. FREE FOOD!)
Tuesday: Asian Vegetable Burger Wrap
Wednesday: Roast Chicken with baked potatoes and honey sliced carrots (I'm working late)
Thursday: Lime and Chile basted Lobster tails with sweet potato mash and spinach
Friday: Baked Polenta with Broccoli Puree
Saturday: Turkish White Bean Stew
Sunday: Roasted Cod on large garlic croutons

We might have guests on Sunday, so I need to put a showstopper on the table if we do.  I'd move the lobster tails to Sunday, but they are only on sale until Thursday and I don't want to refreeze them.  Without a lot of fish or meat on the menu, I should do well financially.  Here is the shopping list:

2 lemons
2 limes
fresh ginger (about 1 inch)
1.5 pound carrots
1 red bell pepper
1 head bibb lettuce
1 bunch green onions
cilantro
thyme
parsley
3 pounds sweet potatoes
1 pound fresh spinach
celery
1 head broccoli
4 oz. shiitake mushrooms
1 habenaro Chile
1 clamshell mixed greens
1 pound strawberries
1 pound bananas
1 pound apples

1 roasting chicken
4 lobster tails (3oz each)
1 box veggie sausage

Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
Tomato paste
2 cans vegetable broth
1 can northern beans
2 cups TVP (texturized vegetable protein found in health food stores)
1 box instant polenta
1/2 pint heavy cream

1 dozen eggs
1 lb butter

I'll figure Sunday out later in the week, but I should have enough money to buy whatever I need.
On to the recipes....
By the way, I have a huge library of recipes, good ones.  Leave ideas in the comments and I see what i can find.



1 comment:

Ski Dad said...

CLOSE! Me and Retno tried ourselves, on the fly. We ended up spending $195 !! Crazy stuff