Monday, September 22, 2008

Taking the Challenge

Taking the Challenge. 

My daughter thinks I’m weird and my partner is convinced it can’t be done, but my challenge is to feed my family of 3 for a week with healthful, gourmet meals, on 125.00 per week.  That is less than half of what we spend now.  It’s a cool challenge.  I’m excited to use my financial brains alongside my creativity.  It is September 22 and my challenge started 2 days ago. 

Friday I got the special food store circulars in the mail.  All nice and neatly packed in plastic, I open the package containing the sales flyer for every food store in a 5 mile radius.  First I look at King Kullen and notice a $10.00 coupon right on the cover.  I begin to cut it out when I realize that I have to spend $100.00 to get the $10 back.  That won’t work for me, as $100.00 is all I have.  I start to write down on a piece of paper all of main course items I might be interested in and what store had them.  Salmon for 4.98/pound, mahi mahi for 3.99/ pound, Shell steak (for my daughter) 4.99/pound.  These are items I could build a menu around.  I also noted things like fruits and vegetables that were on sale and where.  Part of my challenge was to open as few cans as possible, so fresh vegetables were a must. I sketched an outline of the week next to my list:

Sunday – Salmon

Monday – Beef (I would be working late)

Tuesday – white fish

Wednesday – Veggie meal

Thursday – Tacos

Friday – Beans/pasta

Saturday – shellfish 

Ok so I knew salmon was on sale and Mahi Mahi.  I found Eggplant on sale at another store and taco shells.  Shell steaks were ok, but I know my daughter loves marinated skirt steak, so I would look for that cut at a reasonable price.  

I collect recipes as a hobby and keep them in an accordion file.  I pulled out the file and began to look for recipes that contained the items on sale and were relatively easy to cook.  I selected a few and then narrowed it down by taste and list of ingredients. 

Once I selected all of the week’s recipes, I added the ingredients to the shopping list and did a quick calculation in my head.  Here is the menu: 

Sunday – Korean style Salmon with bok choy and mushrooms, steamed rice

Monday – Grilled beer marinated hanger steak, with broccoli, and sweet potato fries

Tuesday – Mahi Mahi with sweet corn chowder gravy, smashed potatoes, and green salad

Wednesday – Over Stuffed eggplant with a garden salad (pizza night for my daughter)

Thursday – DIY tacos, meat or veggie

Friday – Orzo w/chickpeas and goat cheese, cucumber and tomato salad

Saturday - Grilled shrimp and citrus balsamic vegetables

I put a $100.00 bill in my pocket.  I don’t usually shop with cash.  I like the safety of a credit card.  What if I get to the register and have $112.32 worth of groceries?  With a credit card, it wouldn’t matter.  I can be careless, overrun my budget, and not even notice until the bill is due.  That stops today.  I have a mission, a list, and a $100.00 bill in my pocket.  That’s it.  Stay tuned.  I'll post the shopping list and the recipies for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You're so awesome! I love your idea. I know its probably too late for cheap food tips, but I just bought a ton of food for myself on Saturday at the farmer's market for $14.67! I've been living off of that and some brown rice, lentils and tofu for the past 3 days.

So if you decide to continue, check out your local farmer's market. It's cheap and it's healthier to eat local and seasonal foods. It takes the guess work out!

justadam said...

Great, I can eat pizza with your daughter on Wednesday and tacos on Thursday. :-)

justadam said...

Hey, maybe I should start a blog on how to eat on nothing less than $500 per week.

Texafornia said...

Hello? Is this the blog that is so cool and stole all the triscoopers away? I DECLARE A JIHAD ON YOUR BLOG!!!

JK. First, Jen is kinda hawt. Second, Christine is right about just grabbing some basics at the Farmers Market. I'm going to go do that.
Last, don't mention meat. Coach Adam will never come here again if you do.

Ski Dad said...

Excellent BLOG! Myself and My Wife have already decided to TRY and do something similar as far as more eating at home and less eating out.