Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Shopping Week One!

Hey, I got comments! Thanks for reading!  Christine, you are right about the farmers markets.  We have 2 local farms that i do buy stuff at.  That does help.  The meat issue Tex brought up is an interesting one.  I became a vegetarian back in March.  It was a multifaceted decision, but really an evolution of thought on my behalf.  Carolynn decided to join me shortly thereafter.  Katherine is 11 and has been brought up on a very meat oriented diet and she likes it.  At her age, I'm willing to set a really good example, expand her dietary horizons, and find alternatives for her, but she will need to come to the veg thing on her own.  So, I compromise.  I'll cook an occasional beef or chicken meal for her and she promises to try different things on other nights.  When she is ready, she'll get it.  

So thanks for the comments and keep them coming!


Here is the shopping list week one

 

1 ½ lb salmon

1 ½ lb skirt steak

1 ¼ lb Mahi Mahi

 

2 tomatoes

1 lg Bok Choy

8 oz shiitake mushrooms

2 bunches green onions

1 lemon

1 red bell pepper

1 lg eggplant

1 ½ lbs red potatoes

1 bunch broccoli

1 bag onions

1 lb green grapes

1 qt strawberries

1 avocado

2in piece fresh ginger

1 lg clamshell mixed greens

 

1 box frozen corn

1 bag alexia sweet potato fries

 

1 box orzo

1 box taco shells

1 pack taco seasoning

1 jar salsa

1 bottle soy sauce

1 lg container light sour cream

1 loaf whole wheat bread

5oz log goat cheese

1 lb turkey breast

 

Total cost: $69.87

The woman behind the register of the first store looked at my hand with a $100.00 bill and said instinctively, "Debit or credit?" then said, "Oh, sorry, no one pays with cash anymore."  It was kinda funny.  I have to say I felt really good about shopping consciously.  It took some time, but it was really satisfying. 

Quick Disclaimer: Some ingredients in the recipes I had in house, so they didn’t count against the 125.00.  Over time staples like flour and butter will add to the weekly total, but I want to use up what I have.  All in all I was pretty happy with my first outing.  I went to 2 different stores.  I knew I would need to buy milk, eggs and a few other essentials during the week, so the remainder of the cash went into a envelop on the fridge.  I’ll post the recipes separately so you can search for them later.

No comments: