Saturday, October 4, 2008

Where has the week gone?

Carolynn and I went out to dinner tonight.  We stopped at a really great (and very reasonable) Italian place in Oyster Bay.  Over dinner we talked about this little food project and although I can't really say this past week was an accurate reflection of a $125.00 food budget, after all I only cooked once, it is obvious that we have saved quite a bit simply being mindful of what we buy.  I think I finally (after 36 years) get the phrase, "A penny saved is a penny earned."  I always thought it was referring to interest on the penny ;)  Not spending is as good, if not better, than making more.  Especially when making more is not an immediate option.

Tomorrow night is a showcase night.  Carolynn's dad and step mom are coming for dinner and I love to cook for them.  They really appreciate good food so I take to opportunity to show off a bit.  I haven't decided on what I'm serving yet, but here are my choices:

Blond Bouillabaisse (saffron and tomato based fish chowder), fresh french bread, and a tossed salad

Stripped Bass with a Mushroom Leek Risotto and asparagus

Asian Salmon with bok choy and mushrooms (the same recipe I made last week)

I'll decide tomorrow......

No comments: