Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Blond Bouillabaisse

If you make only one dish I post on this site, make this one!

I don't remember where I got this recipe, it's handwritten on a piece of note paper, but I have six copies so I don't lose it! I made this for Carolynn's Dad and Step Mom on Sunday and it was a home run. It is also super good for you. 

Blond Bouillabaisse

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions diced small
1 bottle Lea & Perrins White wine worcheshire sauce (also called chicken marinade)
2 cans (12-15oz each) stewed tomatoes (italian version)
1/4 teaspoon each; thyme, pepper, paprika, and saffron
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1.5 pounds white fish fillets (you can use almost anything red snapper, halibut, trout, whatever. I use 2 kinds at 3/4 pound each)
1/2 to full pound medium shrimp (small work best)
dozen clams or mussels, or both

In a large 3qt pot, heat oil add onion and saute until soft.  Pour the cans of tomatoes in a bowl and cut the tomato pieces in half.  This is a personal thing, I don't like huge chunks of tomato competing with the fish.  Add Lea & Perrins, 2 cups water, tomatoes and seasonings (dried seasoning works fine, except for the parsley, make that fresh if you can).  Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes.  
Cut fish into sections about 2-3 inches long.  They will break a part and that's ok.  Add fish to pot. Add shellfish.  Cook 6-8 minutes longer or until fish flakes with fork and clams are open.  Serve with crusty french bread!

I take a lot of liberty with the type of fish I use.  This last time I used halibut, cod, shrimp, mussels, and quartered sea scallops.  I have used flounder, clams, orange roughy, and even tilapia.  The magic of this dish is the saffron.  If you can't get saffron - don't make the dish.  Saffron is quite expensive (usually about 6.00/.25 oz) but it is well worth it.  I know that this might not be the best dish to serve if you are watching you budget, but if you need a showstopper that is easy, gourmet, and healthy, it is worth the splurge.

No comments: