Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ambitious Asian Plate: Cod Duet


Ambitious Asian Plate

Scallion Pancakes with Ginger Sauce

Cod Duet, Miso and Tamarind
Spinach and Gingered Forbidden Risotto

I used this recipe for the scallion pancakes. It was much more difficult that it appeared. I found the dough too sticky to roll out and it took a lot of flour to get it rollable. While they tasted really good, they looked horrendous. I would make them again, but use less water in the dough. The sauce was awesome and came in handy later.

I for half the cod I used Nobu's famous miso cod recipe found here. I substituted tamarind paste for the miso and used that for the second half of the cod. I think Chef Matsuhisa would be mortified that I attempted his signature dish. I was not overly impressed with my version, but I think the ingredients I used were certainly subpar compared to Nobu's pantry. I would love the opportunity to taste the original someday (when I win the lottery). The tamarind version was sweet. Too sweet. I also did not like the texture. I think I used too much acid and it “cooked” the fish in the marinade. Would NOT make that again.

The Gingered Forbidden Rice was a delightful accident. Forbidden rice is a black short grain rice grown in China. I sauteed ¼ cup of finely minced shallots in 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and 1 tablespoon of canola. I added the rice and chicken stock. Covered and cooked for 30 minutes. That is the way I originally served it, but it was bland and unimpressive. I then, on a whim spooned a teaspoon of the scallion ginger sauce into it and WHAM! It became the star of the show. I would totally make this again using the sauce from the start.

All in all the meal was a 7.5 out of ten.

No comments: